She's testing me. And I'm failing. Anyone have some Cliff's Notes I could borrow? I really stink at this parenting thing. And I need help. She has this stubborn streak. And she's not afraid to use it. In public.
ugh. unfortunately, the "expert advice" is to IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE. We have this article here how this is especially hard to do in the Southern states, where "spanking and other forms of abuse are widely accepted and expected by the people witnessing the tantrum".
If you keep your voice down low and you can manage to hold her while she does it, that is good in public. At home just turn and walk away, provided she is safe (like not holding a knife or jumping off the entertainment center). It will still happen, but she will learn that it doesn't get a reaction. That old "any attention is good attention" adage.
I feel for you though. We've got a tantrummer too. We ignore. It's embarrassing in public but I'd rather stick to my own values than give into or make things more pleasant others (and I REFUSE to be the mom whaling on my child at Walmart!!)
2 comments:
ugh. unfortunately, the "expert advice" is to IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE. We have this article here how this is especially hard to do in the Southern states, where "spanking and other forms of abuse are widely accepted and expected by the people witnessing the tantrum".
If you keep your voice down low and you can manage to hold her while she does it, that is good in public. At home just turn and walk away, provided she is safe (like not holding a knife or jumping off the entertainment center). It will still happen, but she will learn that it doesn't get a reaction. That old "any attention is good attention" adage.
I feel for you though. We've got a tantrummer too. We ignore. It's embarrassing in public but I'd rather stick to my own values than give into or make things more pleasant others (and I REFUSE to be the mom whaling on my child at Walmart!!)
and she's got great teeth!
Post a Comment