Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Pregnancy Update

I went for my monthly visit to the OB on Friday. And I took Emily with me! Some of you know that she has a ridiculous case of White Coat Anxiety. She freaks out at her own doctor's visits and she even freaks out when I take her with me to my appointments.

She knows what's coming as soon as she sees the waiting room. She clings and cries and screams. We took her to the sonogram appointment where we found out we were having a girl. We were prepared with snacks and toys and books. And she handled the visit like she'd done it a million times and it was no big deal. Surprised us all!

So now she has been along with me for two additional appointments and she has done well. The one before this last appointment went okay; she did kinda get scared, but she was rewarded by the nurse with a lollipop. All was well after that. If we hadn't had to wait nearly an hour in the waiting room (they forgot I was there), I think Emily would have been fine. But near the end of the wait, she was getting antsy and wanted to do something other than sit and read quietly.

When I decided to take her to this recent appointment, I was nervous since it was a regular check-up plus a glucose tolerance test. That's where you get to drink the lovely uncarbonated orange beverage that coats the mouth with it's sugary-ness. And then you wait in the waiting room for an hour before they take your blood. I thought for sure it'd be a mistake to take Emily, but this time she was a pro!

She didn't cringe at the site of the waiting room. She didn't even flinch at me getting my blood pressure taken. And when the doctor came in to see me, she actually conversed with him! Talk about progress! She was very good while we waited for my blood to get drawn. And when it was time to leave, she took off down the hall towards my doctor asking for "Grumpa?" I mean, he kinda sorta maybe looks a little bit like my dad; he's a slight man with glasses and basically no hair and an awesome bedside manner. So I can see how she thought it was her Grumpa. What really touched me was when he came out into the waiting room after I had wrangled her and handed her a lollipop. How often do doctors peek out from the deep halls of exam rooms?

And now Emily asks all the time to go to the doctor to see Avery. "Go to doctor? See Avery? Now?" Um, not for another couple weeks, Hon. How funny is that?!?

Oh, I passed the glucose test. But my blood count is low so now I'm on an iron supplement. And I'm measuring one week smaller. So all is good. Except for the insomnia and the pain in my hips.

No comments: