Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day Memories, Vol. III

Valentine's Day was a huge popularity contest in junior high. As a fundraiser, the student council would sell candy-grams. A student would pay two bucks for each candy-gram they wanted delivered to their friends. Then during third period, the student council members would start delivering the candy-grams. Some of the students would end up with two, three, even four of these special deliveries, while I would end up with none. Every time. Nobody loved me. If I had been smart (and rich) I would have bought a couple for myself. Then I wouldn't have looked so pathetic.

BUT, now I am the most popular girl at my house. Well, second most popular. Rob makes me feel like a queen and it makes up for all those stinky years when I didn't have a Valentine.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awful!!! I didn't know. I want to cry...you really had a lousy time of it. I'm so sorry. I wish I could go back and change things, but since I can't, just know that I love you very, very, very much. Now, I think I will go eat some chocolate so I will feel better.

the MILKY way (Chrissy) said...

Mom, this was not supposed to make you feel guilty. Now stop it. Now. It's not your fault that people didn't think I was hot.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom! I didn't get a candy gram in junior high either. Lets get together and eat chocolate. That'll help me get over the memory.
I do remember those "popular-people-getting-candy-grams" and I'd end up being jealous if one of my nerd friends got one.
But now we are hot and popular and those kids in junior high are all fat and smell like smoke and salami. At least that is what we should tell ourselves to help cope with our junior high memories.

Anonymous said...

Well, I really feel bad for you. I know those were hard times, Valentine's day pretty much sucked for me. But I was ALWAYS chosen last in baseball, softball, football, hopscotch, marbles, and when we played hide and seek no one ever bothered to look for me.
YOU on the otherhand,were ALWAYS chosen first 'cause you could outrun all the other kids. Maybe you didn't get any candy grams because you intimdated everyone???
Plus, chocolate probably gave those kids pimples...

Kelly said...

Well, they're all fat now from the chocolate candy grams. Big fat butt nuggets. And you are loverly. And you have a very cute daughter. And you are good enough, smart enough and doggone it, people like you.

Tracey said...

I agree with Kelly...you win! Look at that adorable baby you've got! And if it makes you feel any better, I got nothing yesterday...not a single thing...from that husband of mine. (But you can be he'll be paying this weekend, lol!)