I remember a couple of years ago when Rob and I were talking about having kids and what names we'd like to name them. We took into consideration our last name and how the name would go with it. We talked about nicknames, and could their names be shortened to something that rhymed with a bad word. "Emily" seemed like a safe name. It is a safe name. We shorten it sometimes to "Em" which sounds like a letter of the alphabet; no big deal.
Who knew we'd call her things other than her name? Well, I guess it's to be expected. Dad called Jason "Guy Smiley" a lot. Poppy called Kelly "Little Iodine." (I still don't get that one) Emily gets called several names other than her own, such as: Little Bit, Little Girl, Baby Girl, Boo Boo, and Doo Doo. Yeah, Doo Doo.
It all started with me calling her Boo Boo, in sort of a Yogi Bear voice. Then instead of the Yogi Bear voice, I'd say "Boo Boo" and it sounded more like "Yoohoo!" Eventually Doo Doo happened and she's beginning to answer to it. So I imagine her first "real" word is going to be "Doo Doo." I can just see us sitting in church when she says it, at the top of her lungs, from the back row, during a lull in testimony meeting.
2 comments:
well, there are worse things she could say. My nephew would try and say waffle and for some reason it sounded like the F word. the missionaries were over for dinner one night when my nephew asked for a waffle and I swear their jaws dropped! my sister had to convince them that he was actually trying to say waffle and not the other word. haha
I used to get called "Guy Smiley"? I don't remember that. I know Aaron used to call Nick, Jason. He has called me Nick a few times.
A Bishop in Provo once said from the pulpit, "I would like JP to come up and give his testimony." Everyone in the congregation giggled, so I thought that this guy must be pretty funny. "Don't look around like you don't know who you are Jason Hayes!" Was the Bishop's response... I got up and said, "I've been called many things in my life, JP is a first!"
Post a Comment