I found this recipe on Pinterest (where else???) and added it to this week's menu. We ALL love orzo pasta at our house, along with black beans and corn, so I thought this would be fun to try.
I made the pasta first, planning on letting it cool in the fridge while I made the dressing. As soon as it was drained, Emily wanted to eat it. So I gave her some of the plain pasta. She kept coming back for more! I was afraid I wouldn't have enough for the actual salad.
I made the pasta first, planning on letting it cool in the fridge while I made the dressing. As soon as it was drained, Emily wanted to eat it. So I gave her some of the plain pasta. She kept coming back for more! I was afraid I wouldn't have enough for the actual salad.
I didn't make the spicy dressing in the recipe. I made my own by making some ranch dressing and then adding several dashes (as in, I didn't measure) of ground cayenne pepper and some more dashes of chili powder. YUM-O!
Then I added the dressing to the pasta and tried putting it in the fridge to cool and set, but Emily wanted MORE. I was curious to see how she'd like the dressing, so I gave her some. Avery wanted to try it, too. And they both LOVED it! I went ahead and put in the drained beans and corn and gave them each a bowl, and they chowed down.
Unsure if they would want more, I put the other ingredients (which the girls do not like) in separate bowls so Rob and I could add what we wanted to our own salads. I didn't add the cilantro (I'm not a huge fan) and I didn't have cherry tomatoes, but regular ones worked fine. I think grape tomatoes could have worked great.
Then I added the dressing to the pasta and tried putting it in the fridge to cool and set, but Emily wanted MORE. I was curious to see how she'd like the dressing, so I gave her some. Avery wanted to try it, too. And they both LOVED it! I went ahead and put in the drained beans and corn and gave them each a bowl, and they chowed down.
Unsure if they would want more, I put the other ingredients (which the girls do not like) in separate bowls so Rob and I could add what we wanted to our own salads. I didn't add the cilantro (I'm not a huge fan) and I didn't have cherry tomatoes, but regular ones worked fine. I think grape tomatoes could have worked great.
So, in the words of Emily: "This is the stuff!"
Orzo Salad with Spicy Buttermilk Dressing (recipe from Little Birdie Secrets)
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed and drained
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 peeled avocado, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Preparation:
- 1. Cook orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse; drain well. Place orzo, corn, and next 3 ingredients (through beans) in a large bowl; toss.
- 2. Combine buttermilk, 2 tablespoons cilantro, and next 8 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle over orzo mixture; toss. Top with avocado; garnish with remaining cilantro and parsley.

No comments:
Post a Comment