I have started and restarted this post, trying to figure out how to begin it. The first thing I typed was "I'm tired." But I'm sure people are tired of me being tired. But it's true. Sleeping in two- to three-hour intervals is for parents of newborns. And apparently for the parents of a diabetic kid.
Then I tried starting with "Diabetes sucks!" But everyone knows that. It's not something that goes away. It's not something I can fix. It is constant. It's there first thing in the morning, at each meal, between meals, before/during/after P.E., after school, the few hours between dinner and bedtime, and it's there during those quiet, dark, lonely, hours of the night. And if you add any kind of sickness to it, it gets complicated. Like it's not already complicated. Diabetes sucks!
I almost started today's post with "Emily is beginning to recognize her lows!" But she's not really. She has caught a couple of lows on her own, but mostly when she says, "I feel low..." it really means, "I want a snack. I hope I'm low."
She has the continuous glucose monitor that works pretty well, but she hasn't had it for over two weeks. I didn't order her supply of sensors soon enough. I thought there was another box, but there wasn't. And then the CGM company needed us to sign an assignment of benefits, even though this is the third time we've ordered from them. Stupid paperwork. Seriously, just send me one sensor at least so my kid doesn't have to have so many finger sticks in the night (and I can get some sleep). But now they have their paper signed, hopefully we'll get her order by the first part of next week.
But really, diabetes aside, we're doing pretty good. Emily started kindergarten, Rob is taking some online classes to finish his degree, Avery is getting some quality time with me during the day, and I am trying to stay ahead of the laundry.
I just laughed as I typed that last one. I'm in a never-ending race with laundry and I'm always losing. The laundry plays dirty and is always tripping me. I can't keep up.
2 comments:
Good post! I'm glad you're working on your blog again. It will be something you can look back on years from now and think "Wow, I did that?" or "And I thought THAT was hard?" or "Can I have a do-over?" I really wish I had kept a journal...can I have a do-over???
I have to agree with Mom :) My blog has become a record of our journey, and there are times I have to remind myself how far we've come.
At one point I had a diabetic 3 year old, a 16 month old, and a newborn with no support around, and a husband who was gone 14 hours a day. Don't ask. I have no idea how we all survived.
We must be long lost laundry sisters. I'm in a constant state of laundry over here. There's this ongoing cycle that never seems to be "complete".
Post a Comment