So last night I couldn't sleep. It sucked. I tried closing my eyes, but they'd just pop open. So I tossed and turned, but sleep just didn't come.
But, there was this moment during the wee dark hours of the night that I will never forget. I saw my daughters sleeping soundly and I just couldn't believe that they were mine. I'm a mother. I made human beings. I don't feel like a mother. Inside, I still feel like I'm nine years old, ready to play in the dirt with my brothers; excited to ride my bike around the block without any hands (a light blue Huffy Sky Queen girlie bike with a banana seat and curved handle bars); itching to run as fast as I can and feel the wind in my braids. It was a very weird feeling.
And then I had to touch them to make sure they were really there. And they were! Isn't that strange? Anyone else had this feeling?
I still can't believe I'm a mother.
3 comments:
I go through this too every once in awhile. Sometimes it makes me so happy I can hardly stand it. Sometimes it makes me so afraid that I'll have it suddenly taken away, like someone will realize their mistake.
It's wild!
This is a beautiful post!
ONe of my kids will call out "Mommy" and I'm like, "Who? You mean, ME? Holy FREAK! I'm a MOM!?" It's such a weird moment.
Nope... no idea
Post a Comment