Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Our New Journey: Homeschool

Emily has had nearly twenty sick days this year.  Mostly because of diabetes-related issues, some because of sicknesses that affected her diabetes, and some were just plain 'ol sicknesses. 

Since we've had so many days where her blood sugars are out of control (and since she'd just end up in the nurse's office anyway to get her numbers back in range), we decided we'd homeschool Emily, even on the days when her blood sugar was high and if she had ketones. 

Plus...Emily is a very spirited child.  She has it in her mind that she will do something, and if you try to get her to do it another way, or maybe not at all, she gets very upset.  VERY.  She will end up refusing to listen to you, or her teacher, and just get in trouble and not get anything done.  I decided that this was something we needed to address at home.  It is not fair that her teacher had to deal with this issue, especially if it was something that should have/could have been avoided by something we did/didn't do at home.  So, there's another reason she's being homeschooled.

And soon, Emily will be getting a pump.  She's not keen on new and different things that are attached to her body.  She will probably get pretty cranky and belligerent and I feel that this is another thing we can help her with at home and avoid her getting into "trouble" at school.


DAY ONE:

Emily is drawing one of her Skylander creatures.

 Here are all the books we have for her learnin'.
 Emily was given a subject to write about and illustrate.

 "Me on Television"..."I am on television.  I am in a fairy movie.  I said a magic word.  It's Pippi.  The End."
 And then she did some addition problems.  I think these were a bit easy for her, but we'll get it right soon.
 I used a page protector so we can reuse the book when Avery is ready!
So there it is.  We're homeschooling.  Emily is very excited.  I'm scared and unsure that I will be able to do this.  I don't know what I'm doing.  But it is going to be done.  We are going to have battles, we are going to hate each other, we are going to have to learn new ways of doing things, but we are going to do this.

3 comments:

wbalelo said...

I had wanted to home school TJ and Kyla, but well...I was too scared to try. You are so brave Chrissy and I applaud your efforts. You will accomplish this just as you do everything you put your mind too. Emily and Avery are very lucky to have you as a mom. I can't wait to see what you do.

wbalelo said...

I had wanted to home school TJ and Kyla, but well...I was too scared to try. You are so brave Chrissy and I applaud your efforts. You will accomplish this just as you do everything you put your mind too. Emily and Avery are very lucky to have you as a mom. I can't wait to see what you do.

Hali said...

You are so right about having battles, especially with spirited children. But, remember that if you just stick with it and are consistent, as they get older the battles disappear and their potential and independent desire and ability to learn starts to shine through. A new normal begins. They start to take control of their own learning and there is less for you to do. Just point them in the right direction and give them the resources and they will go. It's awesome. Can't wait to hear how it goes for you!