Wednesday, January 05, 2011

A sensor, a transmitter, and a monitor walk into a bar...

I want to show you the parts of Emily's new continuous glucose monitor. It's really a cool gadget and I'm amazed at how it works.

This is the needle that inserts the sensor under Emily's skin. The sensor fits inside the needle, so that's why the needle is so freaking huge. Once the needle is inserted, I pull the needle out and the sensor stays under the skin.
Once it's in, I tape down the base to prevent it from being accidentally torn off, which is what happened to the first sensor when Emily pulled up her pants and the sensor came right out.
This is the transmitter. Once it plugs onto the "bumble bee" end of the sensor, it communicates with the monitor, giving real-time glucose readings.
While it's attached, it's safe for Emily to take baths. Which is a good thing, because she can get pretty stinky.
Emily likes to wear the monitor on her pants. But what she likes best is when she wears cargo pants and the monitor can slide right into a pocket, out of the way.
Every five minutes we get a glucose reading. And it will also let us know if she's rising or falling at a fast rate, which is totally awesome!

No comments: