Friday, December 21, 2007

Boiled Peanuts!

I remember the first time I had boiled peanuts. Rob and I were in Georgia visiting Kelly and Travis. We stopped at a roadside stand and bought a bag. I was skeptical, but after the first bite, I couldn't stop eating them.

I got a recipe for boiled peanuts and the recipe calls for "raw peanuts and a lot of salt". SO true! Oh my goodness, you have to use lots and lots of salt. I found some raw peanuts at the grocery store yesterday, rinsed them, and then soaked them overnight. I got up early this morning and began the exciting (and quite stinky) process of "bow-lin" me some peanuts!

Can't you almost hear the bubbling water?
Don't forget the salt. LOTS of salt.
Now, the water boils down, so you have to add more during the cooking. Oh, and when you add more water, you have to add more salt.

You'll know the peanuts are done when the peanuts no longer are crunchy. This takes about five to six hours of boiling time. Mmmm-mm! Deeelicious!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great recipe...if you like bowld peanuts. I think it may be an acquired taste. I also think I would like them very salty and the ones I had weren't all that salty. Maybe I need to try them again.

Kelly said...

Travis is going to be so stinking excited!!!!! We really miss that about georgia. Pulling up to some shack on the side of the road to buy a sack of boiled peanuts from a guy with three teeth and a combover. Ahhhh, the memories.

Bob said...

You fixed boiled peanuts with out inviting me over? Growing up I lived on those. Anyone that has never tried them will never know what they are missing.

Charlotta-love said...

I love "bowl'd peenuts". Mmmm...
Merry Christmas!

Kelly said...

They were so good. Mmmmmm....